An elevated Body Mass Index (Obesity) is becoming a more common medical issue for children. Some of the many causes of childhood obesity include genetic tendencies, inactivity and dietary choices.
At Jeffers, Mann and Artman Pediatrics, we have a Healthy Lifestyles Program to help improve your child’s health.
If your child has a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 95%, which can be determined at his routine yearly appointments, we recommend the following;
Accurate weight measurements every 6 months to discuss management plans to make changes to your child’s diet or lifestyle.
Please fill out our lifesytles questionaire prior to each Healthy Lifestyles appointment Link to Healthy Lifestyles Questionarie
We focus on 6 areas of your child’s life that we call 5-4-3-2-1-0.
5. Eat more than 5 fruits or vegetable every day. View NC Fruit and Vegetable Availability
4. Eat at least 4 “family meals” per week. View recommended portions
3. Do not skip more than 3 meals per week, especially breakfast. View Eat 3 Meals a Day
2. Do not watch more than 2 hours of television, computers or video games per day. View Get up and Get Moving!
1. At least one hour of exercise per day (5 times per week). View get at least 1 hour of activity
0. 0 servings of fruit juice or soft drinks per day. View How much sugar?
Please visit the following links for further Healthy Lifestyles education
Eat smart, move more www.myeatsmartmovemore.com
- Abdominal Pain
- Accident Prevention and Childproofing Your Home
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Bite: Animal or Human
- Blocked Tear Ducts
- Breath Holding Spells
- Chicken Pox
- Contact Dermatitis
- Dental Care and Flouride
- Diaper Rashes
- Ear Infection
- Fifth Disease
- Healthy Living
- Impetigo and Skin Infections
- Insect Bites
- Swimmers Ear
- Upper Respiratory Infections